The mathematics of shapes
C3D Toolkit is a software development kit responsible for constructing and editing geometric models. Computer-aided design systems (CAD) are the most widely known software that require tools like C3D. Modeling kits are also used systems such as computerized manufacturing (CAM) and engineering (CAE).
All CAD, CAM, and CAE systems share the same geometric model, which provides the following functions:
- Describing the shapes of modeled objects
- Maintaining relations between model elements
- Recording the history of model construction
- Adding attributes to geometric model elements
As the software developer’s tool, C3D is today the only modeling kit that incorporates all four modules critical to CAD: 2D/3D modeling, 2D/3D constraint solving, 3D visualization, and file conversion.
C3D Toolkit builds geometric models from existing and virtual objects, performs geometric calculations, and creates connections between the elements of geometric models. C3D handles geometric models made in third-party applications, and exports geometry to other computer-aided design systems.
C3D comprises of a dynamic-link library, a demo application complete with source code, technical documentation, and additional support files for compatibility with many integrated development environments (IDE).
C3D Labs provides the following modules critical to developing modern 2D/3D CAD, CAM, and CAE systems:
- C3D Geometric Kernel (C3D Modeler) builds geometric models and performs geometry calculations
- C3D Modeler for Teigha® enables advanced 3D modeling operations through the Teigha API
- C3D Parametric Kernel (C3D Solver) creates and maintains connections between elements of geometric models using dimensions and constraints
- C3D Visualization Module (C3D Vision) performs detailed visualization of geometric models and provides interaction with the interface of CAD systems
- C3D Convertion Module (C3D Converter) imports and exports a variety of geometric data from and to third-party applications
All C3D modules can be used standalone, or together as a unified whole.
The C3D Toolkit benefits application developers as they carry out the following functions in building their software:
- Improve the product’s functional capabilities
- Quickly create 3D products based on existing 2D design systems
- Reduce the cost of development significantly
- Enhance the reliability and speed of software products
C3D Toolkit runs on the following operating systems:
- Windows 32- and 64-bit
- Mac OS X 32- and 64-bit
- Linux 32- and 64-bit
- Android armeabi-v7a and arm64-v8a
C3D Toolkit operates with the following IDEs:
- Windows: MS Visual Studio
- Mac OS: Clang
- Linux: GCC
- Android: NDK
C3D Toolkit supports the following programming languages:
C3D version history:
The objects, methods, and algorithms used by the C3D modeling kit are described comprehensively by the Geometric Modeling book, authored by Nikolay Golovanov, PhD and the head of development at C3D Labs.